ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. Sept 24, 2020 — The impacts of COVID-19 have created a new normal for travelers, but not everything has changed.
Travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, shares four ways the coronavirus pandemic affected travel behavior and reveals the one travel trend that hasn’t changed.
Travelers Search for COVID-19 Coverage
As travelers begin booking trips into 2021, coronavirus concerns are still top of mind.
- Over a third of travelers searched for a policy that specifically included cancellation or medical coverage in the event they contract COVID-19 before or during their trip.
Interest in Cancellation Coverage Spikes
Cancellation protection remains a high priority, as 81% of policies purchased include Trip Cancellation benefits. Now, travelers are willing to spend more for more coverage.
- Pricey Cancel for Any Reason policies offer the most extensive cancellation coverage and account for 22% of all policies purchased, a 552% increase from last year.
Traveler Spending Has Increased
Despite reported travel deals and discounts, travelers are spending more on their trips this year.
- The average cost for international trips is $4,343.66, an 18% increase from last year.
- Domestic travelers are spending 27% more on their trips, with an average trip cost of $3,513.03
Planning Future Trips Further In Advance
Amidst COVID-19, travelers are being cautious and planning trips further in the future.
- With uncertainty surrounding travel restrictions, travelers heading to international destinations are purchasing their policies an average of 4 months prior to their departure, 50% further out than last year.
- Domestic travelers are planning trips 19% further out than last year.
Most Popular Destination Remains the Same
COVID-19 hasn’t changed travelers’ top destination choice, as the United States remains the most popular destination overall.
- As border closures limited international trips, travelers are insuring more domestic trips than international trips.
- Domestic trips account for 52% of all insured travel booked during the pandemic.
KEY CURRENT RESOURCE:
For regularly updated information about Covid-19 and travel insurance, please visit our Covid-19 travel insurance information hub.
Notes to editors
Available Topic Expert: Steven Benna, inhouse data specialist is available for comment and interview. firstname.lastname@example.org (727) 619-7262
About Squaremouth: Squaremouth.com has insured over 3 million travelers. Using Squaremouth’s intuitive quoting and comparison engine, award-winning support team, and verified customer reviews, travelers can save time and money to find the best travel insurance policy for their trip.