Squaremouth’s Natural Disaster Center explains travel insurance coverage related to tornadoes, earthquakes, and other natural disasters that may disrupt travel. This resource is regularly updated with provider position statements, press releases, and answers to FAQs.
Fact Sheets and Press Releases
Recent Volcanic Eruptions May Cause Travel Insurance QuestionsRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. January 16, 2020 — Recent volcanic eruptions in the Philippines and New Zealand highlight the impact that unexpected events can have on travelers.
Travel Alerts, Evacuation Orders and Arson Impact Travel Insurance for Australia
Travel to Puerto Rico Amidst Earthquakes and State of Emergency
What Travelers Heading to Australia Need to Know About Wildfires and Travel Insurance
3 Reasons Why New Zealand Volcano Won’t Trigger Travel Insurance Benefits, Says Squaremouth
Travel Insurance for When the Unthinkable Happens
- Can I cancel my upcoming trip because of a flood?
- When can I buy travel insurance to cover a flood?
- Does travel insurance cover planned power outages during a wildfire?
- What types of natural disasters are covered by travel insurance?
- Can I cancel my upcoming trip because of a wildfire?
- When can I buy travel insurance to cover a wildfire?
- Am I covered if I have to evacuate because of a wildfire?
- When can I buy travel insurance to cover an earthquake?
- See all 25 FAQs
- What types of current events are covered by travel insurance?
- What if my flight is delayed because of the earthquake?
- Am I covered if my trip is delayed because of the earthquake?
- Can I cancel my upcoming trip because of an earthquake?
- Can I still buy travel insurance after an earthquake happens at my destination?
- What coverage do I have if an earthquake strikes while I’m at my destination?
- Does my travel insurance cover me to come home early because of the earthquake?
- Can I cancel due to the earthquake if I have Cancel For Any Reason?
- What if I’m afraid to travel due to the earthquake?
- Is non-medical evacuation coverage available if the Icelandic volcano erupts while I'm traveling?
- What coverage is available if the Icelandic volcano erupts while I'm traveling?
- Can I cancel my trip if my airline stops traveling to my destination due to the Icelandic volcano?
- Will my coverage extend if I am unable to leave my destination due to the volcano eruption?
- When do I need to purchase a policy to have coverage for the Icelandic volcano?
- Is an eruption of the volcano a covered reason to cancel my trip?
- Can I purchase a travel insurance policy after the Icelandic volcano has erupted?
- Does the travel delay benefit cover an eruption of the Icelandic volcano?
Natural Disaster Event Center External Resources
Natural disasters, such as volcanoes, earthquakes, and tornadoes, can leave large areas uninhabitable and significantly impact travel. Check with local authorities at your destination, and use these resources to determine if your destination has been evacuated or deemed uninhabitable: