ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. July 29, 2020 — Half of US travelers say that coronavirus isolation recommendations did not impact their domestic travel plans, according to a recent report by travel insurance aggregator, Squaremouth. With US travelers remaining stateside, Squaremouth.com reveals 3 surprising trends in domestic travel amidst COVID-19.
Vacation Rentals Surpass Hotel Stays
- Vacation rentals are the most popular accommodation type, with almost 50% of travelers opting to stay at a vacation rental during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Cleanliness concerns or social distancing guidelines may have been a factor in travelers’ accommodation decisions, as 37% will stay at a hotel, and only 4% plan to camp or stay in an RV for their trip.
Travelers Still Take to the Skies
- Over 60% of travelers still plan to fly to their domestic destinations.
- 88% of all domestic travelers are heading out of state for their trip.
Isolation Recommendations Only Impact Trips for Half Of US Travelers
- 50% of travelers said that isolation recommendations did not change the type of trip they are taking.
- The majority of travelers are taking beach vacations (51%) or camping or adventure trips (35%).
- Only 15% of travelers will be taking trips to a city.
Methodology: Squaremouth surveyed customers who are traveling domestically amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Data is based on responses from 863 Squaremouth.com customers.
ADDITIONAL TRAVEL INSURANCE FOR COVID-19 RESOURCES:
For regularly updated information about Covid-19 and travel insurance, please visit our Covid-19 travel insurance information hub.
Notes to editors
Available Topic Expert: Megan Moncrief, Chief Marketing Officer, is available for comment and interview. firstname.lastname@example.org (727) 378-0938
About Squaremouth: Squaremouth.com has insured over 2 million travelers. Using Squaremouth’s intuitive quoting and comparison engine, award-winning support team, and verified customer reviews, travelers can save time and money to find the best travel insurance policy for their trip.