ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. July 29, 2020 — Half of US travelers say that coronavirus isolation recommendations did not impact their domestic travel plans, according to a recent report by travel insurance aggregator, Squaremouth. With US travelers remaining stateside, Squaremouth.com reveals 3 surprising trends in domestic travel amidst COVID-19.
Vacation Rentals Surpass Hotel Stays
- Vacation rentals are the most popular accommodation type, with almost 50% of travelers opting to stay at a vacation rental during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Cleanliness concerns or social distancing guidelines may have been a factor in travelers’ accommodation decisions, as 37% will stay at a hotel, and only 4% plan to camp or stay in an RV for their trip.
Travelers Still Take to the Skies
- Over 60% of travelers still plan to fly to their domestic destinations.
- 88% of all domestic travelers are heading out of state for their trip.
Isolation Recommendations Only Impact Trips for Half Of US Travelers
- 50% of travelers said that isolation recommendations did not change the type of trip they are taking.
- The majority of travelers are taking beach vacations (51%) or camping or adventure trips (35%).
- Only 15% of travelers will be taking trips to a city.
Methodology: Squaremouth surveyed customers who are traveling domestically amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Data is based on responses from 863 Squaremouth.com customers.
ADDITIONAL TRAVEL INSURANCE FOR COVID-19 RESOURCES:
Squaremouth.com created the following resources which are updated daily as the pandemic evolves.
Traveler’s Guide to Travel Insurance for COVID-19: Lists available travel insurance coverage for COVID-19.
Coronavirus Pandemic Current Event Center: Answers to FAQs.
Notes to editors
Available Topic Expert: Megan Moncrief, Chief Marketing Officer, is available for comment and interview. email@example.com (727) 378-0938
About Squaremouth: Squaremouth compares travel insurance policies from every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth's comparison engine and third-party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare travel insurance policies side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com.