Provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is interrupted for illness, death or other unforeseen circumstances.
150% of the trip cost
Provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is interrupted for illness, death or other unforeseen circumstances.
Post-Departure Trip Interruption Benefits
If you are unable to continue your Covered Trip for one of the Covered Reasons, we will reimburse you, less any refund paid or payable, for unused travel arrangements, plus the following:
1. the additional transportation expenses by the most direct route from the point you interrupted your Covered Trip: (a) to the next scheduled destination where you can catch up to your Covered Trip; or (b) to the final destination of your Covered Trip; or
2. the additional transportation expenses incurred by you by the most direct route to reach your original Covered Trip destination if you are delayed and leave after the Scheduled Departure Date; and
3. your additional cost as a result of a published change in the per person occupancy rate for prepaid travel arrangements if a Traveling Companion’s Covered Trip is interrupted for a Covered Reason and your Covered Trip is continued; and
4. accommodations and transportation expenses up to $150/day for 5 additional days, not to exceed the maximum benefit amount shown on the Schedule, when a) your Traveling Companion is hospitalized or Injury or Sickness to you not requiring hospitalization prevents you from continuing travel; and b) you must extend your Covered Trip with additional hotel nights due to medically imposed restriction by a Physician.
However, the benefit payable under (1) and (2) above will not exceed the cost of a one-way economy air fare (or first class, if the original tickets were first class) by the most direct route less any refunds paid or payable for your unused original tickets.
We will also reimburse you for the cost incurred up to $250 to drive or transport your Covered Vehicle to your Home if: 1) you are using your Covered Vehicle on the Covered Trip; 2) the Covered Vehicle is with you at the place where the Covered Trip is interrupted; 3) the place where the Covered Trip is interrupted is 100 miles or more away from your Home, and 4) you are unable to drive Home.
Covered Vehicle means a private passenger vehicle owned by or under long term lease (1 year or more) to you.
Trip Cancellation and Interruption Covered Reasons
Coverage is provided for the following unforeseeable events or their consequences which occur while coverage is in effect under this Policy if there is a change in plans by you, a Family Member traveling with you, or Traveling Companion:
1. Sickness, Injury or death of you or your Traveling Companion and/or you or your Traveling Companion’s Family Member or Business Partner. The Sickness must commence while coverage is in effect, require the examination of a Physician, in person, at the time of Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption and, in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to prevent you from taking or continuing your Covered Trip;
2. you become pregnant after the effective date of coverage (Trip Cancellation coverage only);
3. Common Carrier delays resulting from inclement weather, or mechanical breakdown or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation;
4. arrangements canceled by an airline, cruise line, motor coach company, or tour operator, resulting from inclement weather, mechanical breakdown or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation;
5. arrangements canceled by a tour operator, cruise line, airline, rental car company, hotel, condominium, railroad, motor coach company, or other supplier of travel services, resulting from Financial Insolvency;
6. being directly involved in a documented traffic accident while en route to departure;
7. being hijacked, kidnapped, quarantined, required to serve on a jury, or required by a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action, provided you, Family Member traveling with you or a Traveling Companion is not 1) a party to the legal action, or 2) appearing as a law enforcement officer;
8. your Home made uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural disaster;
9. your destination made uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural disaster;
10. mandatory evacuation ordered by local authorities at your destination due to hurricane or other natural disaster;
11. being called into active military service to provide aid or relief in the event of a natural disaster;
12. a documented theft of passports or visas;
13. a Terrorist Act which occurs in your departure city or in a city which is a scheduled destination for your Covered Trip provided the Terrorist Act occurs within 30 days of the Scheduled Departure Date for your Covered Trip or during your Covered Trip;
14. a cancellation of your Covered Trip if your arrival on the Covered Trip is delayed and causes you to lose 50% or more of the scheduled Covered Trip duration due to the reasons covered under the Covered Trip Delay Benefit;
15. a transfer of employment of 250 miles or more;
16. your involuntary termination of employment or layoff and was not under your control. You must have been continuously employed with the same employer for 1 year prior to the termination or layoff. This provision is not applicable to temporary employment, independent contractors or self-employed persons;
17. your host at destination is hospitalized or dies, provided you made previous arrangements to stay at the host’s personal residence during the Covered Trip.
In this Description of Coverage, “you”, “your” and “yours” refer to the Insured. “We”, “us” and “our” refer to the company providing the coverage. In addition certain words and phrases are defined as follows:
Accident means a sudden, unexpected, unintended and external event, which causes Injury.
Actual Cash Value means purchase price less depreciation.
Baggage means luggage, personal possessions and travel documents taken by you on the Covered Trip.
Business Partner means an individual who is involved, as a partner, with you in a legal general partnership and shares in the management of the business.
Common Carrier means any land, water or air conveyance operated under a license for the transportation of passengers for hire.
Covered Trip means a period of travel away from Home to a destination outside your city of residence and the Trip does not exceed 180 days.
Deductible means the amount, which must be incurred by you before benefits are paid under the plan. The Deductible is equal to the amount shown in the Schedule for each person insured.
Domestic Partner means a person who is at least eighteen years of age and you can show: 1) evidence of financial interdependence, such as joint bank accounts or credit cards, jointly owned property, and mutual life insurance or pension beneficiary designations; 2) evidence of cohabitation for at least the previous 6 months; and 3) an affidavit of domestic partnership if recognized by the jurisdiction within which they reside.
Elective Treatment And Procedures means any medical treatment or surgical procedure that is not medically necessary including any service, treatment, or supplies that are deemed by the federal, or a state or local government authority, or by us to be research or experimental or that is not recognized as a generally accepted medical practice.
Exotic Vehicle includes Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Auburn, Avanti, Bentley, Bertone, BMC/Leyland, BMW M Series, Bradley, Bricklin, Cosworth, Citroen, Clenet, De Lorean, Excalibre, Ferrari, Fiat, Iso, Jaguar, Jensen Healy, Lamborghini, Lancia, Lotus, Maserati, Morgan, Opel, Pantera, Panther, Pininfarina, Rolls Royce, Rover, Stutz, Sterling, Triumph, TVR, Yugo, Corvette, Mercedes Benz, Porsche and MG.
Family Member includes your or the Traveling Companion’s dependent, spouse, child, spouse’s child, son-daughter-in-law, parent(s), sibling(s), brother-sister, grandparent(s), grandchild, step brother-sister, step-parent(s), parent(s)-in-law, brother-sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, guardian, Domestic Partner, foster-child, or ward.
Financial Insolvency means complete suspension of operations due to insolvency, with or without the filing of a bankruptcy petition, whether voluntary or involuntary, by a tour operator, cruise line, airline, rental car company, hotel, condominium, railroad, motor coach company, or other supplier of travel services other than the person, organization, agency or firm from whom you directly purchased or paid for your Covered Trip provided the Financial Insolvency occurs more than 14 days following your effective date for the Trip Cancellation Benefits. There is no coverage for the complete suspension of operations for losses caused by fraud or negligent misrepresentation by the supplier of travel services.
Home means your primary or secondary residence.
Hospital means an institution, which meets all of the following requirements: (1) it must be operated according to law; (2) it must give 24 hour medical care, diagnosis and treatment to the sick or injured on an inpatient basis; (3) it must provide diagnostic and surgical facilities supervised by Physicians; (4) registered nurses must be on 24 hour call or duty; and (5) the care must be given either on the hospital’s premises or in facilities available to the hospital on a pre-arranged basis.
A Hospital is not: a rest, convalescent, extended care, rehabilitation or other nursing facility; a facility which primarily treats mental illness, alcoholism, or drug addiction (or any ward, wing or other section of the hospital used for such purposes); or a facility which provides hospice care (or wing, ward or other section of a hospital used for such purposes).
Injury means bodily harm caused by an Accident which: 1) occurs while your coverage is in effect under the plan; and 2) requires examination and treatment by a Physician. The Injury must be the direct cause of loss and must be independent of all other causes and must not be caused by, or result from, Sickness.
Insured means an eligible person who arranges a Covered Trip and pays any required plan payment.
Insurer means Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company which is changing its name to Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company.
Payments or Deposits means the amount actually paid for the Insured’s Covered Trip. Payments or Deposits may be made by cash, check, credit card, prepaid vouchers, incurred change fees, administrative fees, and Currency Units. Payments made in the form of a non-paid certificate, non-paid voucher or discount are not Payments or Deposits as defined herein.
Physician means a person licensed as a medical doctor by the jurisdiction in which he/she is resident to practice the healing arts, including a chiropractic and Christian Science practitioner. He/she must be practicing within the scope of his/her license for the service or treatment given and may not be you, a Traveling Companion, or a Family Member of yours.
Policy means the contract issued to the Policyholder providing the benefits specified herein.
Policyholder means the legal entity in whose name this Policy is issued, as shown on the Benefit Schedule.
Pre-existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediately prior to the date the plan payment has been received by the Policyholder for which you or your Traveling Companion, Domestic Partner, Business Partner or Family Member is scheduled or booked to travel with you:
1. received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or
2. took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.
Schedule means the Benefit Schedule shown Description of Coverage for each Insured.
Scheduled Departure Date means the date on which you are originally scheduled to leave on your Covered Trip.
Scheduled Return Date means the date on which you are originally scheduled to return to the point where the Covered Trip started or to a different final destination.
Sickness means an illness or disease of the body which: 1) requires examination and treatment by a Physician, and 2) commences while the plan is in effect. An illness or disease of the body which first manifests itself and then worsens or becomes acute prior to the effective date of this plan is not a Sickness as defined herein and is not covered by the plan.
Terrorist Act means an act of violence, other than civil disorder or riot, (that is not an act of war, declared or undeclared) that results in loss of life or major damage to property, by any person acting alone or on behalf of or in connection with any organization which is generally recognized as having the intent to overthrow or influence the control of any government.
Traveling Companion means a person who during the Covered Trip will accompany the Insured.
A group or tour leader is not considered a Traveling Companion unless you are sharing room accommodations with the group or tour leader.
Usual and Customary Charge means those charges for necessary treatment and services that are reasonable for the treatment of cases of comparable severity and nature. This will be derived from the mean charge based on the experience in a related area of the service delivered and the MDR (Medical Data Research) schedule of fees valued at the 100th percentile.
GENERAL PLAN EXCLUSIONS
The following exclusion applies to the Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage:
We will not pay for loss caused by or resulting from Sickness of any kind.
The following exclusion applies to the Emergency Medical & Dental Expense, Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Trip Delay and Missed Cruise Connection coverages:
We will not pay for loss or expense caused by or incurred resulting from a Pre-Existing Condition, as defined in the plan, including death that results therefrom. This Exclusion does not apply to benefits under covered expenses for emergency medical evacuation or repatriation of remains of the Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation coverage.
Waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived provided you meet all of the following requirements:
1. the payment for this plan is received within 21 days from the date you paid the initial Covered Trip deposit/payment for your Covered Trip;
2. you are not disabled from travel at the time you makes your plan payment;
3. you insure all prepaid Covered Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also insure the cost of any subsequent arrangements added to your Covered Trip within 21 days of the payment for those arrangements.
The following exclusion applies to all coverages: We will not pay for any loss under the plan, caused by, or resulting from:
1. suicide, attempted suicide, or intentionally self-inflicted injury of you, your Traveling Companion or Family Member booked to travel with you, while sane or insane (while sane in CO and MO);
2. mental, nervous, or psychological disorders, except if hospitalized (does not apply to Medical Expense Benefits);
3. being under the influence of drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;
4. normal pregnancy or resulting childbirth (except for complications of pregnancy or as specifically provided under Trip Cancellation) or elective abortion;
5. participation as a professional in athletics while on your Covered Trip;
6. riding or driving in any motor competition;
7. declared or undeclared war, or any act of war;
8. civil disorder (does not apply to Trip Delay), travel warning/alert;
9. service in the armed forces of any country;
10. operating or learning to operate any aircraft, as pilot or crew;
11. scuba diving, mountain climbing, bungee cord jumping, skydiving, parachuting, hang gliding, parasailing or travel on any air supported device, other than on a regularly scheduled airline or air charter company;
12. any criminal acts, committed by you;
13. a loss or damage caused by detention, confiscation or destruction by customs;
14. Elective Treatment and Procedures;
15. medical treatment during or arising from a Covered Trip undertaken for the purpose or intent of securing medical treatment;
16. a loss that results from an illness, disease, or other condition, event or circumstance and the loss occurs at a time when the plan is not in effect for you;
17. a diagnosed sickness from which no recovery is expected and which only palliative treatment is provided and which carries a prognosis of death within 12 months of your Effective Date; Sickness, Injury or Death if insurance is purchased after entering a hospice facility or receiving hospice treatment.
The following exclusion applies to the Baggage & Personal Effects and Baggage Delay coverages:
We will not pay for damage to or loss of:
2. property used in trade, business or for the production of income, household furniture, musical instruments, brittle or fragile articles, or sporting equipment if the loss results from the use thereof;
3. boats, motors, motorcycles, motor vehicles, aircraft, and other conveyances or equipment, or parts for such conveyances;
4. artificial limbs or other prosthetic devices, artificial teeth, dental bridges, dentures, dental braces, retainers or other orthodontic devices, hearing aids, any type of eyeglasses, sunglasses or contact lenses;
5. documents or tickets, except for administrative fees required to reissue tickets;
6. money, stamps, stocks and bonds, postal or money orders, securities, accounts, bills, deeds, food stamps or credit cards, except as noted above;
7. property shipped as freight or shipped prior to the Scheduled Departure Date;
We will not pay for loss arising from:
1. defective materials or craftsmanship; or
2. normal wear and tear, gradual deterioration, inherent vice; or
3. rodents, animals, insects or vermin; or
4. theft or pilferage from an unattended vehicle; or
5. mysterious disappearance; or
6. electrical current, including electric arcing that damages or destroys electrical devices or appliances.