ST. PETERSBURG, FL November 30, 2016 — For the fifth year in a row, Mexico is the top international destination for American travelers, according to sales data from leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth.
“Mexico has consistently been the most popular international destination among our customers,” said Squaremouth spokesperson Rachael Taft. “Despite Zika concerns earlier this year, we’ve seen a 19% increase in travel insurance sales for U.S. residents traveling to Mexico.”
Mexico Rebounds After Slow Growth in 2015
After experiencing single-digit growth last year, Mexico’s year-over-year growth rate tripled in 2016.
Table 1: Squaremouth Customers Traveling to Mexico
|Growth in Number of Travelers||Average Trip Cost|
Medical Coverage a Top Priority for Travelers
Emergency Medical and Medical Evacuation coverage are top priorities for U.S. residents taking trips to Mexico, based on usage of Squaremouth’s search filters.
- 10% of Squaremouth customers traveling to Mexico searched specifically for a policy with primary medical coverage, and 9% searched for Pre-Existing Condition coverage
- The “Cruise” search filter, which only shows policies with Squaremouth’s recommended amounts of Emergency Medical and Medical Evacuation coverage for a cruise, was the next most-used filter
- Travelers to Mexico showed less demand for terrorism coverage, with only 3.5% of customers using the “Terrorism” filter when buying a policy
Mexico a Favorite for Winter Travel
Winter is the most popular season for travel to Mexico, while fall is the most affordable season.
- Mexico is the top international destination for American travelers in spring and winter, according to Squaremouth sales data
Table 2: Seasonal Travel to Mexico
|Total Spent in Season||Average Trip Cost||Share of Annual Travel to Canada|
Methodology: Data is based on American customers insured on travel insurance policies purchased through Squaremouth prior to 11/21/16. Annual numbers are based on sales between 11/21 of the previous year and 11/21 of that year. Statistics reflect year-over-year changes unless otherwise noted. Travelers who are visiting multiple countries only have to enter one destination when purchasing a policy on Squaremouth.com. This report represents travelers that selected Mexico.
- 2016 Fastest-Growing Destinations: Travel to Alternative Destinations Surges
- Canada Destination Report: Travel Insurance Sales for Canada Spike in 2016
- U.S. Destination Report: Domestic Travel Growing Slower Than International
Squaremouth compares travel insurance policies from every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth’s comparison engine and third-party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare insurance products side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com.