ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. November 1, 2018 — Last year’s Thanksgiving travel season found travelers preparing for flight delays and staying stateside, according to data from travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth. Ahead of this year’s Thanksgiving season, Squaremouth breaks down how traveler trends have changed.
Weather Replaces Terrorism as Top Travel Concern
Following a destructive hurricane season, more travelers are concerned about canceling a trip due to inclement weather than for terrorism-related events.
- 26% more travelers are buying policies specifically for Hurricane & Weather coverage
- Search interest specifically for Terrorism coverage has decreased by 38% from last year
Cruises Gain Popularity
More travelers of all ages are choosing to spend their Thanksgiving aboard cruises this year.
- The number of travelers buying cruise insurance this Thanksgiving has increased by 33% over last year
- The number of Baby Boomers taking cruises has tripled over last year, followed by Gen X and Millennials
U.S. Remains Top Travel Destination
For the second year in a row, the United States continues to be the most popular destination for U.S. travelers this Thanksgiving, followed closely by Mexico.
- The number of travelers insuring domestic trips this Thanksgiving increased by 43% over last year
- After the United States and Mexico, the next 5 most popular Thanksgiving destinations are Caribbean countries and the U.K.
Notes to editors
Available Topic Expert: Steven Benna, inhouse data specialist is available for comment and interview. firstname.lastname@example.org (727) 619-7262
About Squaremouth: Squaremouth compares travel insurance policies from every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth's comparison engine and third-party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare travel insurance policies side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com.