ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. December 17, 2019 — More U.S. residents than ever are traveling for their holiday vacations this year and protecting their trip investment with travel insurance. Travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, reports this year’s holiday travel trends, including where travelers are headed and how much they’re spending.
Travelers Stay Close to Home for the Holidays
The United States is the most popular destination for U.S. travelers again this holiday season.
- Mexico and Caribbean countries are the most popular international destinations for holiday travel.
- Israel is the fastest growing international destination, with a 94% increase in popularity compared to last year.
Travelers Spending More Than Ever
Travelers are spending more on their holiday trip this year, with the average trip cost increasing 14% across top destinations.
- Even travelers staying stateside are spending more on their holiday trips this year, as the average cost increased to $4,056.
- Travelers saw the highest increase in cost for travel to Costa Rica with a trip cost spike of 60%.
- Israel is the most expensive destination this holiday season, with an average trip cost of $10,622.
Travel Insurance Awareness Grows
More travelers are insuring their holiday trips this year, with a 23% increase in travel insurance policies purchased for trips during the Christmas and New Year holidays.
- Travelers insuring domestic trips specifically increased 38% compared to last year.
10 Most Popular Destinations this Holiday Season
|Destination||YOY Traveler Growth||Average Trip Cost||YOY Change in Average Trip Cost|
Notes to editors
Available Topic Expert: Megan Moncrief, Chief Marketing Officer, is available for comment and interview. email@example.com (727) 378-0938
About Squaremouth: Squaremouth.com has insured over 2 million travelers. Using Squaremouth’s intuitive quoting and comparison engine, award-winning support team, and verified customer reviews, travelers can save time and money to find the best travel insurance policy for their trip.