Price was reasonable and terms were clear.
Remarks to Squaremouth Travel Insurance questionnaire provided on completion of my trip
I was hospitalized for pneumonia and a possible pulmonary embolism. Arrangements with my insurance provider were handled by my stepdaughter, a Professor and Director at Oxford University, residing in Oxford where I was hospitalized. Travelex was immediately notified. As soon as we were advised that it would be necessary to cut my travel short and return directly home after my release from the hospital, the following actions were undertaken with Travelex to make the necessary arrangements:
* Travelex representatives advised for my stepdaughter to proceed with cancelling unused tours and changing the return travel reservations home. She contacted our travel agent and advised them accordingly.
* After our travel agents commenced changing the arrangements, She was then advised by Travelex to stop, "They would handle all of that."
* So, she contacted the travel agent and had them back out of the arrangements pending handling by Travelex.
* Subsequently. Travelex changed their minds again and the Travel agent was requested to proceed. .
* In the process of reporting status to Travelex, my stepdaughter again encountered contradictory instructions. (Each time by different representatives. The representatives appeared to be very inexperienced , uninformed help that were being overridden by their supervisors.)
*Finally, she was again contacted by Travelex saying they "felt we would be more comfortable making our own arrangements, and would we go ahead and do that." It should be noted that now with the time lapse since starting, we were in danger of not getting return seat reservations!
* Out of a total sense of frustration. I told my step daughter to instruct our travel agent to NOT discuss arrangements any further with Travelex and to proceed with the best with what they could do.in the time remaining and we would cover any cost independent of Travelex as necessary!
* My step daughter advised Travelex that my condition was such that I would have to be provided with their service in getting from Oxford and onto planes and back home.
*Travelex pondered this and then advised that they had a group review of my condition and had concluded that I was well and did not require any further service???
* My hospital doctor then had to intervene and put them on notice that I was barely ambulatory and would require assistance!
* After further due consideration, Travelex decided to provide the service.
* At Travelex direction, they provided a car to take me from Oxford .to Heathrow Airport, London.
* Upon arriving in London, no arrangement had been made to handle our bags, get us through security, and onto the aircraft for our return flight home
* My travel companion was unable to secure valet service so we proceeded to check the bags and get through security. You need to understand, I was terribly ill and barely managed to do this. In fact the "Home Security" representative was so concerned she stopped what she was doing had me seated in the nearby restaurant while she personally went to arrange a motorized transport for us to take to the plane. Delta followed through on this and we were transported through baggage and customs to an awaiting driver (apparently arranged by Travelex) to take us to our Seattle destination.
To summarize, it was a terrible mistake insuring with Travelex and I will never do it again! Their employees were unresponsive and incompetent or they were engaged in some attempt to avoid providing us with the required service.
I can only hope that prospective customers can be so advised to avoid this company. Further, Squaremouth should caution against their use if they are conducting themselves responsibly. Obviously, selection of a competent travel insurance company depends on much more than just price and terms! For future consideration, I will be interested in what action you take.
I have sent off my claim and have not recieved a response in a month.
My husband died unexpectedly before our trip. So we did not make the trip.
Simple On-line transcation - nothing of note.
When we ran into a significant delay, the company responded quickly to our email inquiry. We had a non emergency issue and did not require assistance so it was easiest to wait until we were home and make a claim.
We found the company to be positive and responsive. Filling out the claim paperwork is a bit onerous, and it IS IMPORTANT to maintain records of everything that happened and keep all receipts and travel documents --- if you have everything, it is a straightforward though somewhat tedious process. By the time we were done we had a book (literally, we comb bound it)about 3/8inch thick.
Response to our claim was VERY FAST and we had a check in less than two weeks.
The only significant item that was disallowed was a claim for lost salary - and that was simply not covered in the policy.
Overall we were very happy with the company and have already bought travel insurance from them again.
Overall quite satisfied with SquareMouth and TravelEX. Multiple problems due to airline cancellations upon return to Chicago O'Hare Intl likely due to FAA Air Traffic Control Center fire of 2 weeks ago. Smaller, regional carriers impacted on short notice resulting in multiple flight cancellations, extended delays, having to obtain alternate ground transport, etc. Collecting data at this time and have telephonically advised insuror of pending claim.
Had to cancel trip. Stonebridge initally did not pay fully, claiming a technicality. Had to hire a lawyer to assist and finally was paid. Then found that I paid for an additional Travelex policy from R.Crusoe, but this was underwritten by Berkeley and the two don't communicate though both have Travelex name on them. Trying to get a refund from Crusoe.
Our claim was processed quickly and paid in full.
We are in the process of submitting a claim at present. The phone assistance that we received on the day of, and immediately following, my wife's accident appeared to be primarily concerned with limiting the insurance company's exposure. I had requested assistance in booking an immediate return flight, and the agents said they would take care of it. This was never done, and when we reached the airport 2 days later, all seats had been sold for later that day and for the next. I wait in the airport for many hours before i was able to obtain seats on another airline on my own.
The total (and only) communication we got from this insurance carrier was a single page Summary of Coverage coming from Sqauremouth.
No communication at all was received from the carrier (Travelex Insurance). We certainly expected to get some certificate, or proof of coverage, but we received nothing from Travelex.
I wondered if we had a claim if they would even know they had covered us with a policy. I would not recommend them or use them again.
I didn't need to access any travel insurance benefits this trip, however my past experience with this company and claims filed have been excellent regarding responsiveness, and also a supportive attitude in calling in past travel concerns that came up. I'll use this company again and again.
My experience with Travelex I would rate as poor. However, dealing with Squaremouth Zero Complaint Dept was excellent.
They were able to get the claim processed with Travelex without their help who knows.
Multi-Award Winning Customer Service
Squaremouth’s customer service team has been recognized nationally for its excellence. In 2016, Squaremouth received its second Stevie Award for Customer Service Department of the Year in the American Business Awards, the nation’s premier business awards program.Read More
Safe With Our Zero Complaint Guarantee
Every travel insurance policy purchased through Squaremouth comes with our Zero Complaint Guarantee. In the event of a complaint, we will mediate with the insurance provider on your behalf. If the complaint is not resolved to our satisfaction, we will remove the provider from our website.Read more
$1,000 tips shine a light on service
Squaremouth, a company that puts a focus on how to treat customers, rewards 20 who do the same.
BY KATHERINE SNOW SMITH
Times Staff Writer
One of America’s Best Workplaces
Squaremouth is consistently recognized, both locally and nationally, as one of the best places to work. Fortune Magazine named Squaremouth one of America’s Best Small Workplaces and the No. 2 Best Workplace for Women in the nation.Read More