Choosing not to travel because your trip won’t be as fun as you had hoped is never covered by standard travel insurance policies.
The Hurricane and Weather benefit can reimburse you if you are unable to travel due to a reason specifically listed in your policy. In order for coverage to be available under the Hurricane and Weather benefit, one of the following requirements must be met:
- Your common carrier is delayed by weather for at least 6-48 hours
- Your destination is uninhabitable due to flooding, power outages, or other reasons
- Your destination is under a mandatory evacuation
- A hurricane warning has been issued at your destination
The only way you can be covered to cancel because you don’t want to travel is with the Cancel For Any Reason benefit. This benefit can reimburse you up to 75% of your trip cost when you cancel for a reason that is not otherwise covered by your policy. In order to be eligible for Cancel For Any Reason, the following requirements must be met:
- You must purchase your policy within 14-21 days of your initial booking date
- You must insure 100% of your prepaid and nonrefundable trip costs
- You must cancel at least 2-3 days before your departure date
This information is time sensitive and may vary by policy. If you have questions about a specific policy, please contact us directly at 800-240-0369. Our customer service representatives are available from 8am to 10pm ET, seven days a week, and are delighted to help.
Notes to editors
About Squaremouth: Squaremouth compares travel insurance policies from every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth's comparison engine and third-party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare travel insurance policies side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com.